What is Anxiety? If you have experienced it, you know it’s a horrible feeling. Sometimes, we brush it off saying we are stressed-out, but anxiety is a common problem that can lead to debilitating and even tragic ends if untreated.
- Anxiety disorders, which include panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder, phobias, and separation anxiety disorder, are the most common class of mental disorders present in the general population. 1
- The estimated lifetime prevalence of any anxiety disorder is over 15%, while the 12-month prevalence is more than 10%. 1
- Prevalence estimates of anxiety disorders are generally higher in developed countries than in developing countries. 1
- Most anxiety disorders are more prevalent in women than in men. 2
- One study estimated the annual cost of anxiety disorders in the United States to be approximately $42.3 billion in the 1990s, a majority of which was due to non-psychiatric medical treatment costs. This estimate focused on short-term effects and did not include the effect of outcomes such as the increased risk of other disorders. 3
*See individual sources below. Original source https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/basics/burden.htm
The good news is that the stigma around mental illness and mental health has improved over the years, yet for those who suffer, they can still feel isolated, alone and unsupported. Many times, not understanding what is happening, how to get help or that help even exists is what exacerbates this feeling.
Anxiety and mental illness are serious and sometimes critical. Understanding and taking action to help yourself or someone you love is imperative.
The Wellness Universe offers support for mental illnesses. We uncover and share stories to support mental health and well-being from caring practitioners whose mission it is to make the world a better place. We have published hundreds of articles since 2015 that help you to know that you are not alone and guide you to being pointed in the right direction for real help.
Our practitioners who offer supper for mental health are here for you. Simply by searching ‘anxiety’ or ‘PTSD’, for example, you will find an array of practitioners with resources you may never have known about. Have you used music to help you? How about breathing techniques? Or EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) or Tapping to help? This is exactly the point.
The Wellness Universe helps to expose many holistic and drug-free alternatives that are self help as well as assisted.
You never could imagine how pain free (emotionally and physically) life can be! Exploring the amazing resources we have is like finding a treasure trove of well-being treats.
If each one of us incorporated practices into our lives that supported our personal well-being, allowing for a more balanced, health-filled life, we believe we can achieve world peace which includes empathy, respect and honoring our Earth.
The Wellness Universe supports total well-being by bringing together the most eclectic, robust and supportive community of wellness practitioners supporting those who seek total well-being in 7 areas of wellness as described on www.TheWellnessUniverse.com.
Please support our mission to grow this epic space that is desperately needed as we witness more and more unrest, unhappiness and unwellness. It’s up to us to make the change.
More than 2,500 WU World-Changers have come together since 2014 and the need is now to expand and reach more people and impact the world in a bigger way. You are invited to use The Wellness Universe to better your life or join us as a WU World-Changer resource for well-being.
Can we count on your support? If you feel more wellness is needed, and through supporting society with powerful wellness resources, one person at a time, we will achieve world peace, then please support our mission and vision now:
Donate to The Wellness Universe 2017 Holiday Fundraiser. Goal: $50,000
Anna Pereira & Shari Alyse
Founders, The Wellness Universe
Your likes, comments and sharing of this article is appreciated and we are grateful for your support in spreading this message.
Real People. Real Resources. Really Changing the World.
The world needs hope, healing and support. One by one Wellness Universe World-Changers (WU World-Changers) create more happiness, health and peace throughout our planet. Together we make the world a more positive and peace-filled space.
In 2013, The Wellness Universe Founder Anna Pereira had an epic vision. Passionate about leaving the world a better place than she found it, she reached out to Shari Alyse and shared her idea of creating an unprecedented community of people, each one being a resource for well-being, who are just as passionate and dedicated to making the world a better place.
Wellness requires all areas of our life to have balance. The Wellness Universe has a community of wellness practitioners and professionals who support you in 7 areas of wellness: Environmental, Emotional, Intellectual, Occupational, Physical, Social and Spiritual. Completely member supported, all content is created by the members to support their personal messages to help make the world a better place. The Wellness Universe launched live on 1/23/15, first as a Facebook page directory, and now as a robust resource comprised of over 2,500 vetted members from around the world.
The Wellness Universe vision is, quite simply, world peace. We believe this is achieved by supporting, empowering and celebrating wellness professionals and World-Changer leaders around the globe. If we systematically and practically support leaders, provide them with a community and a platform through which to share their passion, message and expertise, they will be positively and profoundly affected and this in turn will increase their reach, impact and ability to educate and inspire true and lasting whole health in people the world over. The Wellness Universe is a catalyst for this.
The Wellness Universe (WU) mission is to revolutionize the wellness industry and ultimately what wellness means, how we incorporate it into our lives and how we access and share wellness resources. Through our leading-edge online directory and platform, we make resources for self-help and empowerment, and connection to an evolutionary global wellness community easily accessible, all under one WU umbrella. We believe that in connecting one another in the pursuit of whole health and well-being, personally and professionally, this causes a ripple effect that will ultimately inspire peace globally.
Founders Anna Pereira and Shari Alyse, along with their remarkable, dedicated team make this space possible.
- Kessler RC, Aguilar-Gaxiola S, Alonso J, Chatterji S, Lee S, Ormel J, Ustün TB, Wang PS. The global burden of mental disorders: an update from the WHO World Mental Health (WMH) surveys. Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 2009;18(1):23–33.
- McLean CP, Asnaani A, Litz BT, Hofmann SG. Gender differences in anxiety disorders: Prevalence, course of illness, comorbidity and burden of illness. J Psychiatr Res 2011; Mar23.
- Greenberg PE, Sisitsky T, Kessler RC, Finkelstein SN, Berndt ER, Davidson JR, Ballenger JC, Fyer AJ. The economic burden of anxiety disorders in the 1990s. J Clin Psychiatry 1999;60(7):427–35.