Where did the concept of “Pay It Forward,” originate from?
In the article, Pay It Forward – Where Did This Idea Come from Anyway? The author says that this concept originated in ancient Athens in 317 BC, as “a prizewinning play called Dyskolos, which translated means The Grouch. Benjamin Franklin, Ralph Waldo Emerson, and Woody Hayes have been quoted as using the idea through their writings, teachings or coaching. Most of these references were made regarding the idea of money and lending of funds to be paid forward rather than being paid back.” *
After the movie “Pay It Forward” was released in 2000, starring Kevin Spacey, Helen Hunt, and Haley Joel Osment, the concept caught on that paying it forward should accomplish things that the other person cannot accomplish on their own.*
This sounds wonderful!
Here are 10 Pay It Forward Ideas:
- Make homemade chicken soup for your family, friend or colleague who has been sick for days with a cold or flu. Not only will they feel that someone cares about them, but chicken soup is a great comfort food.
- Mail a card to an elderly person who doesn’t get out much, saying that they are in your thoughts.
- Smile at the crankiest person you know. It may lighten their heart.
- Straighten a clothes hanger or get a knitting needle so that your best friend, who has a broken leg, can reach the itchy spot under the cast!
- Volunteer your time to comfort rescue animals at a shelter. They are starved of affection.
- Suggest to your colleague that you’ll drive them to work while their car is in the shop being repaired.
- Assist your neighbor get a snake out of their house. (It was a garden snake, and yes, I was hysterical as I am petrified of snakes!)
- Offer the shelter of your umbrella, in a downpour, while waiting for the bus.
- Let the lady in front of you in line know that she has lipstick on her teeth.
- Listen to and comfort someone who has received bad news.
The universe always pays back a good deed, especially if it is given freely without any thought of “what is in it for me?” The universe never forgets.
It is one of the beautiful compensations of this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself. – Charles Dudley Warner
(* Source: https://chasekraynickpayitforward.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/pay-it-forward-where-did-this-idea-come-from-anyway/)
* Please See Our Disclaimer Below *
Find great products and services for your well-being from members of The Wellness Universe!