Did you know that gluten is the biggest cause for autoimmune diseases?
Why is this?
Here is a list of harmful ingredients & what they do to the body:
1. Gluten is a compound protein and it composes about 80% of the protein found in wheat, barley & rye. Gliadins, which are a component of gluten and they are essential for giving bread the ability to rise properly during baking.
Gluten: causes gut inflammation and due to the effect of the inflammation it can cause intestinal cells to die too soon and causes oxidation. This leads to leaky gut, when the gut leaks it allows bacterial proteins and other toxic compounds to get in the bloodstream which in turn can lead to autoimmune attacks on the body. It also can cause poor digestion which can hinder the body from absorbing nutrients leading to nutritional deficiencies.
Gliadin: the biggest problem causing gluten protein, they can be similar to proteins found in tissues of organs like the thyroid and pancreas, antibodies fighting against gliadin can end up attacking these organs and ultimately cause autoimmune diseases like hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes.
2. WGA (wheat germ agglutinin) is a lectin that protects the grain from insects, yeast and bacteria.
WGA: like gluten, WGA irritates and causes premature cell death in the gut and leads to a leaky gut. It can also disrupt the mucus membrane in the gut, which can lead to an overgrowth of bacteria and lead to a host of digestive issues such as GERD and ulcers. The lectin in WGA often ends up circulating through the body and in the brain, where it can cause a resistance, effects similar to insulin. Those two factors could be a cause or promoter of obesity as leptin and insulin are the two most important hormones to properly regulate in order to maintain a normal weight and energy balance. WGA can deplete Vitamin D abnormally leading to a harmful deficiency causing weakened bones, a weakened immune system as well as vulnerability to infectious diseases and bacterial attacks on the body. Your body can also lose vital nutrients like B vitamins, iron, omega 3 fatty acids and zinc. These nutrients are essential for mood and brain health.
3. Opioid peptides are psychoactive chemicals, these are very similar to psychoactive drugs like opium or morphine.
Opioid Peptides: these nasty little peptides have been associated with Schizophrenia, as promoter of the disease and/or the cause. This peptide can also cause an addiction to wheat and when removed from the diet it can cause withdrawal symptoms.
Now you know what actual Gluten is and what it consists of and some of the nasty things it can do. Next I am going to give some symptoms of not only Celiacs Disease but a gluten intolerance/sensitivity that most are not aware of.
1. Gastrointestinal (GI), stomach, and digestive problems. These can include one or all of the following: gas, bloating, queasiness, abdominal cramping, constipation, diarrhea, or an alternating combination of both – IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome).
2. Recurring headaches and/or migraines.
3. Fibromyalgia (now Fibromyalgia is a whole blog in and of itself, which maybe at a later date I will do) Fibromyalgia is not a disease it is a syndrome.
4. Mood swings, high and low emotions and irritability as well as depression. ( this goes back to the leaky gut, your body doesn’t absorb the vitamins needed and you have a deficiency of certain vitamins essential for brain health )
5. Fatigue. Such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ( which like Fibromyalgia is not a disease it is a syndrome) and usually a Dr. will diagnose these because they have no definitive answers. ( sad but true)
6. Neurological issues. These can include dizziness, difficulty balancing, brain fog, and peripheral neuropathy affecting nerves outside the central nervous system and resulting in pain, weakness, tingling or numbness in the extremities.
7. Joint pain. Inflammation, swelling or pain in your joints such as fingers, knees, hips and feet.
8. Skin Rashes such as eczema, acne and/or psoriasis
9. Diagnosis of an autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Hypothyroidism, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis.
10. Hormone imbalances such as PMS, or unexplained infertility. As well as kidney & bladder issues such as recurring infections.
11. ADHD in children.
12. Dental issues, such as cavities, canker sores and tooth decay.
13. Hair Loss
These are the 13 most commonly looked over and/or misdiagnosed underlying symptoms of a gluten intolerance/sensitivity or Celiacs Disease.
The best advice I can give is this… If in doubt, go without. You will not be missing any vital nutrients but cutting gluten out of your diet, in fact you will be helping to replace any nutrients lost due to a leaky gut.
The effects of gluten can remain in a persons system for 3-6 months or longer depending on some different factors. So if you are considering removing gluten from your diet to see if it is causing your issues, it is recommended not to introduce it back into your system for several months. Most people have reported that once they have removed all gluten from their diet and they slip or try to introduce it back to their body’s that they feel worse than before, this is a huge indicator that your body cannot handle the gluten at all.
I have done so much research on this because I have suffered with being ill since I was 2. Back and forth from Dr. to Dr. being poked and prodded. Suffering for years and being diagnosed with just about everything you can imagine from CFS ( Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Fibromyalgia, Neuropathy, Paresthesia, MS, Hypothyroidism and Irritable Bowl Syndrome. And not one time did any of these Dr.’s test me for a gluten allergy or sensitivity. I only found out through my Nutritionist that this could be my issue and then relaying that information to my Neurologists who in turn did all the proper testing and low and behold this has been my issue since I first started eating food. There has been so much damage done to my body over my 40 plus years that even though I am completely gluten free now I don’t know if the damage can ever be repaired. I know our body’s have the ability to heal themselves but to what point is the damage too much.