It’s that time of the year again when life can be overwhelming and overstimulating for us highly sensitives.
Unless we take good care of ourselves with strategic planning and conscious monitoring of our energy and emotions, we will stress ourselves out during the holidays. In this blog, I’m going to share five powerful steps for highly sensitives to kick holiday stress out of your life with tools to help you find more freedom and joy.
Here are Some Causes of Holiday Stress for Highly Sensitives:
- Too much to do and too many places go to.
- Not enough alone chill time.
- Empathy: you’re feeling other people’s stress and anxiety as your own.
- Family obligations and personalities feel like too much to deal with at once.
- Travel challenges and phobias, too many people, overstimulation.
- Feeling out of control, disconnected, or not safe around family or friends.
- Over-arousal overwhelmed by all the activities and noise around you.
- Uncertainty about all the changes happening in the world.
- Lack of self-care.
- Money worries.
Let’s boot holiday stress out of your life and fill you up with more joy, love, and connection.
Here are 5 Tips for Highly Sensitives to Kick Stress this Holiday Season:
Don’t Take Things Personally.
When other people do, say, or react remember, it’s not about you! When someone reacts, say to yourself, “It’s not about me!” You are not the center of their universe, they are.
How people react and feel is the result of the “meaning” they put on an event. It has to do with what they believe about themselves and the world. People’s reactions are their responsibility and the result of their beliefs, habits, and childhood conditioning.
Take Responsibility for Your Triggers, Thoughts, Emotions, and Actions.
Stop projecting your thoughts and feelings onto others.
No one can make you feel anything. Someone can tell you that you are ugly but unless you believe it and feel it is true, you won’t let it bother you. It may feel like their words and actions are making you feel you’re not good enough, perfect enough, embarrassed, broken, weak, etc., but it is your own beliefs that influence your emotions.
Simply notice what your thoughts and feelings are and what you believe about yourself without beating up yourself. You’ll bring into your consciousness what has been running your life choices unconsciously.
Then ask yourself, “What do I need for my well-being?” or “How can I love myself more right now?” Look at your choices and make one.
Take Care of Yourself Energetically, Mind, Body, and Spirit.
We are made of energy and we are receiving and projecting energy all day long. As energy beings, we are like radio towers tuning in on other people’s frequencies. As HSPs you can pick up on other people’s feelings and moods and take them on as your own. So it is really important to become conscious about clearing your energy field (your body and the space around you) and not taking on other people’s emotions. Here is an Audio that takes you through clearing your energy field and sets healthy boundaries
Plan What You WANT Your Holiday to be Like.
Set your intention as to what you want each day and experience to be like, imagine it so you can feel it in your body, and take actions that support your choices. Most people focus their attention on what they don’t want.
Here a few examples:
- There is too much to do vs I make time for the important things and let go of the rest, I have healthy boundaries.
- I hate the holidays vs I love spending time with the people I deeply care for and celebrate life with them in a way that is authentic for me.
- Socializing terrifies me vs I plan for events that matter to me and with whom I will spend my valuable time with.
- Traveling overwhelms me vs I’ve learned how to travel so that I am comfortable, entertained, and calm.
- I’m drained vs I put myself first and then I have enough energy for others.
So, what do you want your holiday to feel like? Grace, creativity, joy, mellow, freedom, ease, flow, festive, celebration, grateful, mindful, loving, compassionate, abundant, happy, peaceful, divine, sacred.
Journal about it and start vividly daydreaming about what you want this holiday to be like.
Consider these Questions:
- Who do you want to spend your time with? How does it make you feel? Why?
- What is important to you during this time? How does it make you feel? Why? Traditions, connection, family, creativity, gift giving, celebration, spirituality, religion, caroling, socializing, cooking?
- Where do you want to be? How does it make you feel? Why? Families’ homes, host from your home, snow, tropical, spiritual retreat, community, caroling, kitchen, church?
- What will you have to change in yourself in order to make this happen? Why is it worth it?
Make Self-Care and Your Desires Priority.
Take action to create what you want by making your self-care and desires a priority. Visualize every morning and evening what you envisioned in Step 4. Feel the feelings and see yourself already doing, having, and being what you dreamed up above. This 20-minute meditation will help you elevate your emotions and help you change your vibration in order to create something new in your life Elevate Your Energy Meditation.
Let these emotions radiate all around you throughout the day like you were a lighthouse of positive emotions. Make decisions and plans from this energy. Stay focused on your intention, taking one step at a time and expanding your emotions as if you’ve already achieved it and you love your life.
The holiday season can be a joyous and stress-free time for us highly sensitives, too!