We are now into January of the year 2021, yet the solstice that happened on December 21, 2020, is still relevant in regards to the energies of change that will prevail all through the year.
The solstice is the start of a new season, and a new season always brings a transition of energy. The full moon of January 6 ushered us into the Age of Aquarius with the great conjunction of Saturn and Jupiter in Aquarius kick-starting a new era. In addition, the numerology of the solstice also talks about new beginnings: 12.21.2020 = 10 = 1. So, even though we are well into January and the days are slowly getting longer, we are still in winter energy, which invites us to reflect on past experiences and to plan for the soon to come new season. The wisdom of the solstice can help us do just that.
Why Has the Winter Solstice Always Been a Big Deal in Human History?
For us, in the northern hemisphere, the days are shorter, the sun is weaker, and the winter solstice is the shortest day of the year.
For the ancients, this was scary as they lived a life totally in tune with the seasons. Gathering, hunting, and later, growing food was largely dependent on the seasons, and if the sun didn’t come back, crops would be compromised, and they would starve. So, understandably, as the days became longer after the winter solstice, it was reason to have hope; they had learnt that it meant spring was on its way.
Symbolically, it was also a time of death and rebirth while celebrating upcoming new life. We can also see it as a time of rest and eventually solitude before the upcoming busy season of spring. It is a season of waiting, patience, and faith, a season of reflection, acceptance, and planning. It could be a time of reflecting upon loved ones who are gone, reflecting on what is important, reflecting upon ourselves, and pondering “what within me needs to die to create room and become fertilizer to sprout an updated version of me?”
The Spiritual Meaning of the Winter Solstice
As you nurture your physical and emotional bodies, you might also want to practice brightening your inner light, as your own vibration affects others around you. Get into the habit of tapping into your inner joy throughout the day and create a ripple effect; joy is contagious. Raise your vibe and you contribute to raising the frequency on the planet!
Some animals are hibernating, some of the vegetation has gone dormant, some critters have gone silent, seeds are patiently waiting for the dark soil to warm up; the energy of winter tells all to go within and accept our own darkness. Not to let our darkness take over, oh! No!, but to befriend it and use it as a catalyst for transformation and growth. Allow yourself to experience your emotions, the so-called negative ones as well as the positive ones, emotions are energy in motion. Let them pass through you and learn from them. What are they drawing your attention to and teaching you?
As the winter solstice leads the way to a new solar cycle and a new calendar year, perhaps some of you chose to do a little ritual to honor the year that was ending and usher in the new one, you may have done so at the January 6 full moon, or maybe you forgot. If you did forget, you can still do it now. Write down what you want to get rid of, memories, feelings, beliefs that no longer serve you; and either burn that sheet of paper along with photos, allowing the flames to cleanse your inner darkness, or throw it on the compost pile to be recycled. Give thanks for what was, take a moment to notice how you feel, and allow the excitement and the joy bubble up for what is to come.
It is Important to Thrive No Matter What the Weather Looks Like
Light a candle, let yourself dream up the new year, and notice your own light. How bright is it? It might be challenging to even imagine yourself as a light, as in the winter we are susceptible to SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder), also known as the winter blues because the light intensity is lower, and we stay mostly indoors when it is cold outside. SAD usually affects about 10 million Americans but this year it is reasonable to think that the number will be higher as people have already been cooped up for several months, feeling anxious and frustrated by our global situation. SAD may make you lose temporary interest in things you used to enjoy, make your mood a bit gloomy, negatively affecting your sleep. Your circadian rhythm is controlled by the hypothalamus, which gets stimulated by light. Therefore, a lack of sunlight messes up your natural circadian rhythm. Your appetite may be affected too, and you may get into the habit of munching on comfort foods high in carbs or sugary snacks.
What to Do?
Just like for the ancients, as the days became longer after the winter solstice, honor the lingering energy of death and rebirth and have hope. Though it is passed, you can still embrace the spirit of the solstice which will prepare your mind to stay aware that the primary theme for 2021 which is change.
Commit to the following:
- Pay attention to your diet; in fact, you might want to use this season to detox.
- Make a contract with yourself to spend 15 minutes outside every day and expose as much skin as possible to the winter sun. Schedule it on your calendar if you have to; it is just as relevant as anything else worthy of being on your calendar. Do not wear sunglasses, as it is important for the sunlight to reach your pineal gland through your retina for regulating energy, sleep, and mood.
- Use this light and sound therapy device that I recommend, which has helped thousands of people in Europe as a medical device for almost 30 years. It is a high tech-pair of glasses that address sleep disorders, stress, depression, anxiety, and more. It has all the necessary safety certificates. I invite you to learn more.
- Nurture yourself and make special efforts to create healthy sleep habits. Eat three hours before going to bed, do not drink coffee in the afternoon, shut down all electronic devices at least one hour before bed. Sleep in a dark room and to shield yourself from EMFs (ElectroMagnetic Frequencies), have no TV or electronic devices in the bedroom. If you “have to have” your phone with you, put it on airplane mode and keep it away from your head. Turn off your router at night.
- Make time for activities you enjoy, which will boost your mood and therefore boost your immune system.
- While reflecting on what you no longer want and what you’ve learnt from it, on what you do want, and staying true to yourself and your core values, focus on the greater good for the whole of humanity, as these energies are reminding us that we are all inter-connected and that we need to come together to create the beautiful world that we want and can create. Envision it.
- Laugh to chase the blues away and smile, smile, smile!
All is well. Your light adds to the billions of little lights shining brightly on our gorgeous Planet. Thank you for your light. All is well.
All information, content, and material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider. The information supplied through or on this page, or by any representative or agent of The Wellness Universe, is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical, legal, or other professional advice. Health-related information provided through this website is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to diagnose or treat health problems or to prescribe any medical devices or other remedies. The Wellness Universe reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason, including, but not limited to, comments that are in violation of the laws and regulations formed pursuant to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. None of the posts and articles on The Wellness Universe page may be reprinted without express written permission.
Live your happiness, even in the tough times. Meet the Author of Chapter 8, Accolon Hollingsworth: HOW TO BE HAPPY THROUGH THE TOUGH STUFF | BACKING YOURSELF UP FOR HAPPINESS WITH THE SELFMASTERY OF SPIRITUAL KUNG FU WARRIORSHIP
Mark your calendar, 2021 will be a year filled with happiness! February 11 pick up your copy of The Wellness Universe Guide to Complete Self-Care, 25 Tools for Happiness!
Join us in the Wellness Universe Book Club Group to take part in our special events and connect with all the authors! ⇨ http://bit.ly/WUBookClub