It’s Autumn time here in the northern hemisphere.
The leaves are turning beautiful shades of orange and yellow, the mornings and nights are cooler, the days are shorter and energetically I am slowing down. How about you?
With all this talk of autumn, what foods can help support our health and wellness this season?
Well, let’s take a look outside or at our local farmers’ markets and what do we see? An abundance of pumpkins, apples, sweet potatoes, greens, broccoli to name a few.
Apples and sweet potatoes support our immune system and nourish our root chakra, making sure we are grounded. Pumpkin, with its vibrant orange color, reminds our Sacral chakra to keep us in ease and flow, even in times of distress and chaos. Greens and broccoli open our heart chakra to love and gratitude. Ahh! The beauty of Mother Nature to provide us with what we need as we transition into the autumn season.
The Smoothie of the Month for October is the Pumpkin Spice Smoothie. The ingredients and directions are as follows:
- 1 cup of cooked pumpkin or pumpkin puree
- 12 oz. of unsweetened almond milk or another kind of nut milk
- 1 cup of spinach
- ½ frozen banana
- 2 dates
- ¼ cup raw cashews or another kind of nut
- 1 scoop protein powder
- ¼ tsp of pumpkin pie spice
Note: If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, no worries, you can make your own.
Pumpkin Pie Spice:
- 2 dash ground cinnamon
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
- 1-2 dash ground ginger
- 1 dash ground allspice
- Place all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend until smooth add more liquid for your desired consistency.
- Pour in your favorite glass and head outside to enjoy, while admiring all of the beautiful autumn colors.
Til next month’s smoothie recipe,
* Please See Our Disclaimer Below *
Find great products and services for your well-being from members of The Wellness Universe!