Relaxation is a wonderful way to help alleviate the effects of negative emotions, such as stress or frustration, on the mind and body.
There are multiple relaxation techniques that a person may use to cope. Below, is a Reiki meditation using a visualization that you may do anywhere throughout the day within 15 to 30 minutes. This Reiki mediation will help you to not only relax but also gain a bit more inner peace. It will bring forth any hidden emotion that does not serve your highest good and help you to release it back into the universe. Use this visualization for a specific issue or just, in general, any time you feel the need.
If you want to use music, please feel free to pick your favorite instrumental tunes. For this exercise, music without lyrics is best. Sit or lay down in a quiet or semi-quiet location. Once you are comfortable, turn on the music if you are using it, then close your eyes. If at any moment you are not comfortable, change position, but keep your eyes closed and remain focused on your thoughts and any visions that may arise. Now, let’s begin.
Here Is A Visualization Exercise for Relaxation:
- Take three deep breaths, inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. Be sure that when you inhale, you are doing so from the diaphragm, not the chest, and go slow. If it helps, count to five on both inhalation and exhalation.
- Visualize an image of yourself surrounded by nature. See the various plants and flowers around you, swaying in the cool breeze that touches your skin. The sun is high in the sky and extremely bright, beaming yellowish, white light down upon you. These rays penetrate deep within your body, filling you with a sense of warmth and tranquility. As this happens, you feel it pushing all worry, stress, anger, regrets, and any other negative feeling or thought outside your body and you watch as these feelings and thoughts disintegrate within the light of the sun.
- Take a deep breath, breathing in the sweet aroma of nature surrounding you. There is nothing left inside you except a relaxing feeling of warmth and security. Look at your skin and discover that it has begun to glisten with the same light of the sun. Reach out to touch the leaves of a nearby tree and notice that it too has the same shimmery appearance, all of nature glistens around you and with you. Hear the faint chirping of a bird and it sounds as if it is saying, “happy, happy, happy” over and over in song. Smile as you feel the light inside you becoming stronger, giving you an immense sense of pleasure and contentment. Feel peace, happiness, and relaxation. You have released your worldly issues to the higher power, to the universe.
- Slowly close your eyes and lift your arms towards the rays of light beaming upon and within you. Now, slowly come back to the earthly world while holding this image in your mind. Take three deep breaths and open your eyes. Remain where you are and think about what you experienced for a few minutes. Do this visualization whenever you feel the need.
If you want to go into deeper contemplation, write the answers to some or all of the questions listed below. Be honest and respond to the best of your recollection and as detailed as possible. No one will see the responses except you. Once you are finished, read over it once, then place the paper in a private location. After at least two weeks, redo the entire visualization exercise and answer the same questions. Read both responses to see if there are any new revelations or significant changes. This written documentation of your experience helps you figure out how you are progressing at instituting moments of relaxation in your life. You may continue repeating this deeper contemplation and stretch out the weeks if desired until you feel you no longer need to see the writings.
- Were you at a beach, in the mountains, or somewhere else?
- What type of plants or flowers surrounded you?
- What were the colors around you?
- What animals were present?
- Did you smell or feel anything, if so, what effect did it have on you?
- What emotions or images arose while visualizing?
- Which, if any, emotions or images were released?
- What emotions did you feel enter within you?
- Did you feel the peaceful relaxation of the light?
- How do you feel now?
If you want to share your experiences or have any questions, you may message me on The Wellness Universe.
LaTanya is certified as a Reiki Master by the International Center for Reiki Training (ICRT) in Usui/Holy Fire III Reiki Ryoho. As a fully insured Reiki Master, she has an innate talent for helping clients destress, improve inner peace and promote natural health.