My focus word for 2016 is JOY. I am looking to experience and share joy each and every day. I choose JOY. Sometimes we think we may have lost our joy, the truth is, our joy is a deep seated part of us in our higher Self. Yes, that is Self with a capital S. Our true Self, not our ego self. That is wonderful news; it’s here inside us all along. I love Robert Holden’s quote about joy, “Joy is your spiritual DNA. It is woven into the fabric of your being. It is more than just positive thinking. It exists whether or not you are in a positive state of mind.” Breathe in the goodness of that truth.
To me, joy is a deep sense of inner trust in the Divine, knowing in faith that all is well deep down, despite our circumstances. I found this to be so true as I experienced the dark night of the soul during my brother’s illness and following his passing. I was able to experience so much love, beauty, peace, and yes, even joy, during those dark, dark days. Seeing my brother treated with so much love, dignity, and compassion. The blessing of receiving meals, messages, visits, cards, phone calls and prayers from coworkers, family, and friends who showed their love and care to my family, and to me, in so many ways. Sometimes, we are unable to feel the joy until afterward.
When we focus on something, it expands. It is a law; the law of attraction. According to Wikipedia, “The law of attraction is the name given to the maxim “like attracts like,” which in New Thought philosophy is used to sum up the idea that by focusing on positive or negative thoughts a person brings positive or negative experiences into their life. This belief is based upon the idea that people and their thoughts are both made from “pure energy,” and the belief that like energy attracts like energy.”
So, let’s focus on finding more joy in our lives.
Here are 5 things you can do today to find more JOY in your life:
- Choose to open your heart and mind to allow yourself to receive joy, take 3 long inhales and exhales and feel the increase of life, giving oxygen in every cell of your body. You can do this right now and immediately feel the positive effects and the increased joy.
- Go out in nature, a park, your yard, a flower shop and view the beauty of the flowers, birds, trees and sky. Keep your eyes and heart open to beauty. Even a few minutes can make a huge difference in the course of your day. What did you notice that increased your level of joy?
- Watch a sunset or a sunrise or spend time under a starlit sky. This is quite therapeutic. The colors of the sky are soothing to our senses. We also benefit from the light of the moon and stars (even if it is cloudy or you live in a highly populated area and can’t “see” the stars clearly.)
- Play, do something you LOVE. Do you have a favorite childhood activity that you’d like to do or share with someone? What did you love to do as a child that delights your heart today? Also, what about a favorite childhood treat to eat that delights your heart and brings a surge of joy flowing to you?
- List 3 things you are grateful for and spend 5 minutes before falling asleep savoring those. A gratitude practice brings more joy in our lives. A grateful heart is a more joy-filled heart.
I’m pondering the word “frolic” for my focus word for 2017. To me, that feels like JOY on steroids; an even more playful, lighthearted part of joy. Just saying the word frolic brings a smile to my face and more joy in my heart.
I’m Janette, founder of Angel Angles which exists to spread more love, joy and peace into the world. Angel Angles also shares the Divine beauty which resides within us all. Helping us remember what beautiful, loving, amazing people we are and what a beautiful. loving world we live in.