Sleep is one of the three pillars of life in Ayurveda. In fact, getting proper sleep is so important that there has been an influx of commercials on television promoting sleep aids and prescription sleep medication.
People are sleeping less due to the modern technology that keeps us connected 24-hours a day, 7-days a week. With all that stimulation, who has time to focus on getting a good night’s rest? After all, there is just so much to do.
The above sentence is a common statement that is often repeated. In fact, people are sleeping 10% less than they were ten years ago and are sleeping 17% less than they slept in the eighties.
After a busy day of multitasking, even the most serene among us can find it difficult to get a good night’s rest.
According to the National Center for Sleep Disorders Research at the National Institutes of Health, some 30% to 40% of adults suffer symptoms of insomnia within a given year.
Sleep follows a normal health pattern and brings refreshing. Deep sleep is essential for renewing both body and mind and restoring our vital energy.
Without proper sleep, we will not have the proper energy to function in life. The effect of sleep is like that of diet, to provide nourishment. Just as we require proper food, rest for the body and mind through sleep is also essential.
Happiness and misery, obesity and leanness, strength and weakness, sexual vigor and impotence, consciousness and loss of sensory acuity, life and death, all depend upon proper sleep.
If you occasionally suffer from sleeplessness or difficulty sleeping, keep reading for some simple strategies.
- Say goodnight. Create a bedtime ritual to signal to your body and mind that all activity is done for the day and it is finally time for rest. Any food sensory stimulation or anything you take in must be digested and absorbed before you will be free to rest. Finish eating two hours prior to bedtime and turn off the television or put aside your cell phone and laptop at least half an hour before retiring.
2. Show your body appreciation. When you come to bed, take a moment to notice your hands, your feet, and the rest of your body. Close your eyes and mentally shower your entire body with love and appreciation for a few seconds.
This is the precious container that holds you and allows you to experience the world. Imagine that every cell is filled with love.
3. Stretch and yawn. Rest on your back and contract and stretch your muscles from head to toe. Flex your feet, spread your toes, and then curl them around three times. Stretch out one foot and reach the opposite arm overhead. Gently squeeze and release the leg and arm muscles three times. Repeat on the other side.
Hug yourself and shrug your shoulders toward each other. Hold for three or four seconds and release. Change the cross of your arms and repeat. Rest the base of your palms above your eyebrows and place your thumbs on your temples. Slide your fingertips along your hairline and circle the thumbs lightly on your temples. Lastly, try to yawn three times.
4. Rest in love. Either in bed or on your yoga mat, come into Child’s pose with your knees wide apart and your forehead resting on your hands. Imagine a blanket made of infinite love covering you. Let your head relax onto your hands.
Tell your skin, muscles, and organs that they are free from the demands of multitasking and from being on constant alert. Settle into this cocoon and rest for at least a minute.
5. Let yourself melt. Lie flat on your belly, resting with your forehead on the back of your hands. Feel your navel expand toward the floor as you inhale and pull back as you exhale. With each exhalation, imagine releasing tension from your body. Do this for ten breaths. Roll slowly onto your back.
Rest your fingers on your belly, feeling it rise and fall as you take twelve more breaths. With each exhalation, let yourself melt and be absorbed into radiant love. Next, curl into a fetal position on your right side and rest. You may even drift off to sleep.
Tonight, when you get into bed to sleep, remember that sleep is just as important to your body as nourishment. Without sleep, your body can not function properly, so curl up in your warm and comfy bed, close your eyes, take in some slow, long deep breaths, and fall off into slumberland knowing that “sleep does a body good.”
Connect with Rochel Marie Lawson on The Wellness Universe and walk away feeling better!
All information, content, and material is for informational purposes only and is not intended to serve as a substitute for the consultation, diagnosis, and/or medical treatment of a qualified physician or healthcare provider. The information supplied through or on this page, or by any representative or agent of The Wellness Universe, is for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical, legal, or other professional advice. Health-related information provided through this website is not a substitute for medical advice and should not be used to diagnose or treat health problems or to prescribe any medical devices or other remedies. The Wellness Universe reserves the right to remove, edit, move or close any content item for any reason, including, but not limited to, comments that are in violation of the laws and regulations formed pursuant to the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act. None of the posts and articles on The Wellness Universe page may be reprinted without express written permission.
An Amazon #1 Best Seller! The Wellness Universe Guide to Complete Self-Care 25 Tools to Achieve Anything is the book that just might change everything for you. It’s like having 25 expert coaches rolled into one, each teaching you a practice or tool to help you achieve your goals. You’ll find techniques for mind, body, spirit, and soul. You’ll enjoy a multitude of topics and modalities that will assist with better sleep, spiritual magnificence, mindset mastery, enhanced intuition, balanced nutrition, and peak performance in every area of your life.
Both e-Book & Paperback are available.
The Wellness Universe Complete Self-Care Notes & Companion Journals are here to support your self-care journey!
Enjoy a complimentary notes journal for each book The Wellness Universe has published. All books are available on Amazon in our Self-Care series.
The Wellness Universe invites you to SoulTreat Wellness Retreat for Mind, Body, and Spirit. Imagine yourself and your friends in the picturesque Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina for self-care workshops, talks, and one-on-one experiences with wellness experts from around the globe this October.
Release what no longer serves you. Reset your mind, body, and soul.