Bruises not only hurt, they are unsightly. Let’s face it, we all get them from time to time and they are not pretty. Worse, they hurt. How do you get rid of bruises, naturally and quickly?
First, what is a bruise? Upon injury, your capillaries break under the skin. Blood leaks out and the Bruise appears pinkish at first then turns black-and-blue colors. As the pooled blood gradually breaks down, the colors turn many other colors, from purple to green and yellow… not a good look if it’s on an area of your body typically exposed. Hearing ‘What happened to you?’ or worse, someone thinking they are funny and poking you there, hurts!
Bruises can take 10 to 14 days to go away without any treatment. Let’s try to minimize this timeframe:
- As soon as you have had a brush with the coffee table corner, or the dog jumped on you, ice it. Applying ice to the area which is likely to bruise as soon as you get injured will reduce the appearance. Ice pack or ices cube in a zip lock bag as well as a bag of frozen veggies will do. Just get ice on it. This will reduce the swelling and blood flow. Wrap the ice in a towel to not burn your skin. You can do this on and off for the first 24 hours.
- Elevate the area if possible. Kind of hard on your torso, but if on your legs, lay down and put pillows under your legs. Raise your arm if your arm experienced trauma. Try to keep blood flow away from the bruise.
- The herb Comfrey can help. Comfrey contains compounds that reduce swelling and aid the rapid growth of new cells. Make a warm herbal solution by pouring 2 cups of boiling water over 30 grams of dried comfrey leaves or 60 grams of fresh leaves. Steep for 10 minutes, then strain. This is for an external use only, do not drink it! Apply to the bruise for one hour on a thoroughly soaked, clean washcloth. Do NOT use this tip if your skin is broken, or have abrasion with the bruise.
- Other external remedies are Vinegar or Witch Hazel. Vinegar mixed with water and applied to the bruise increases blood flow near the skin’s surface, so it may help dissipate the blood helping to make the bruise disappear more rapidly. Witch hazel will also have the same effect.
- One remedy I always use is Arnica (Montana) which I get from the vitamin or natural foods store. It is a homeopathic remedy which you put under your tongue. As soon as you get the bruise, start taking it and follow the instructions on the package.
Hope these tips work for you. Oh, and you may want to move the coffee table a smidge over too.
Anna is the founder of The Wellness Universe website. Her lifetime goal is creating positive energy, bringing people together and inspiring you to be your best to manifest your dreams and create a better world.