Take care of your body. It’s the only place you have to live.– Jim Rohn
Did you know that including a whole food-based diet in your life brings a balance that weighs in equally physically, emotionally, and spiritually?
While eating alone isn’t the “be all and end all,” it certainly is a major contributor to both physical and emotional wellness. What we eat directly impacts brain function, body function, and our mental health. A balanced diet, along with other areas in life contributes to a centered foundation; Our “core” of being and doing.
Eating in response to emotions, eating out frequently, and eating on the go will, overtime, place us in less than desirable health. Poor health brought on by eating unhealthy foods provides and opens the door to unwanted lifestyle diseases such as, type 2 diabetes, cancer, heart disease, and metabolic syndrome.
We all have a choice and a means to change, and also be an advocate for our bodies and minds.
If going at it alone leaves you struggling, try joining a group such as, weight watchers, a local meetup, an online healthy eating group found on social media, or a healthy eating forum. There are so many options for all of us to find our likeminded tribe to provide us support and accountability, too! When we seek to care for our bodies by eating healthy foods, we create and give back positive energy into the Universe.
Your Guide to A Balanced Diet:
Take what you read here and simply start by doing what resonates with you, one step at a time, especially if you are just beginning.
(Note: This is one of several healthy eating guides. Keto, Paleo, Whole 30, Mediterranean Diet, and Dash Diet are all popular today as healthy eating options.)
Eating is something we all do every day! Why not eat to live and eat for joy, versus a grab-n-go while on the run, or worse yet, labeling eating as “good” or “bad.”
Go for a balanced diet that makes you feel good inside and out! From this place, life balance in all areas will thrive.
Need-to-Know Food Facts for a Balanced Diet:
Eat more of these foods:
- Raw and cooked vegetables and fruits. Recommended 5 servings each day.
- Nuts, seeds, beans.
- Whole grain cereals and bread.
- Lean white meat like chicken without the skin.
- Oily fish like salmon, trout, sardines, mackerel, and tuna.
Eat these foods in moderation:
- Lean cuts of beef, lamb, pork, and shellfish.
- Dairy products.
- Unsaturated fats like olive and vegetable oil.
- Dried fruit, sucrose, honey, fructose, and chocolate.
Eat less of these foods and in limited amounts:
- Saturated fats like butter, margarine, lard, cheese, cream, trans fats, and hydrogenated oil.
- Processed meats such as lunch meat, bacon, ready-made and frozen entrees. (These are typically high in fat, salt, sugar, unhealthy preservatives, dyes and flavor enhancers.)
Use the guide below for finding and understanding essential nutrients that make up a balanced diet. (*)
1. Nutrient – Carbs.
- % of Calories – 45-55%.
- Function – Energy.
- Source – Grains (refined and unrefined), wheat, maize, corn, millet, oats, rice, flour, pasta, noodles, potatoes (including sweet potatoes), and fruit.
2. Nutrient – Protein.
- % of Calories – 10-35%.
- Function – Tissue growth and maintenance.
- Source – Meat, fish, nuts, seeds, soy, eggs, beans and pulses, some vegetables, lentils, and quinoa.
3. Nutrient – Fat.
- % of Calories – 20-35%.
- Function – Energy storage.
- Source – Plant oils (olive, coconut, canola, vegetable, avocado, sunflower), dairy products, nuts, and seeds.
4. Nutrient – Water.
- % of Calories – 0%.
- Function – Maintaining hydration.
- Source – Tap or bottled water, and 20% of our water intake comes from the foods we eat.
5. Nutrient – Fiber.
- % of Calories – 25-35 grams.
- Function – Regulates blood sugar levels and aids in elimination and digestion.
- Source – Fruits, vegetables, beans, oats, whole grains, brown rice, nuts, and seeds.
Do you have any tips that have helped you maintain a balanced diet that did not get mentioned above? If so, please share them with us in the comments section below!
Did you know you can find help here? From personal to professional well-being, connect with someone who can guide you to a happier, healthier, and whole life! Become a WU Friend today!
If you provide support or products that make the world a better place and help humanity live in health, happiness, and wholeness, join us as a WU World-Changer.
– The Wellness Universe
- (*) www.choosemyplate.gov – United States Department of Agriculture
You deserve a SoulTreat! Join 18 amazing WU World-Changers for feel-good workshops, talks, and a SoulTreat Fair. Learn more and get your tickets here: https://wusoultreat.com
Find great products and services for your well-being from members of The Wellness Universe!
The Wellness Universe is your resource for health, wellness, well-being, and transformation. We serve and support professionals who make the world a better place and individuals and groups who seek their best life.
A woman owned company; having the vision in 2013, Anna Pereira launched the first directory in 2015 bringing together a community of members making the world a better place to be found by those seeking their best life. The Wellness Universe has grown since then to be a one-stop shop for total wellness support! We are a vetted community, online directory, book publisher, resource center, event producer, content platform, and so much more, supporting whole-health and well-being on a global scale.
The Wellness Universe is a home that connects industry professionals in the health, wellness, and well-being fields to seekers of total well-being. WU provides our WU World-Changer members with peer support, Wellness Universe produced events (live and online), projects, visibility, business mentoring, and community. Through The Wellness Universe our WU World-Changer members serve WU Friends, seekers of health, wellness and transformation, with coaching, workshops, content and more.
The Wellness Universe provides individuals and groups seeking their best lives with access to our members, wellness content, educational resources, and guidance in all areas of wellness to transform visions of how they want to live life into the life they experience.
Through the directory, WU Featured Blog, SoulTreat wellness retreat, Self-Care Books, group well-being programs, and online learning center, The Lounge, The Wellness Universe provides many avenues to support whole health, mind, body, spirit and planet.