“You have cancer.”
These three words can strike fear in the hearts of those who hear them.
If you are one of the many Baby Boomers who have been diagnosed with cancer, chances are your initial reaction is one of disbelief, denial, shock, horror, anger or stoic acceptance.
You may be asking yourself, “Why me? Why now?”
There’s never a convenient time to have cancer. A cancer diagnosis can be at best worrisome and overwhelming. It is often seen as a devastating illness, one which actually concerns everyone throughout their lives, threatening Baby Boomers in higher proportions. If it\’s not you, someone close to you may be at higher risk.
According to statistics, 1 out of 2 women will develop cancer in their lifetime. Experts predict that during the next 20 years, 65 – 70% of cancers will occur in those aged 65 and older.
But cancer doesn’t have to be a devastating, life-threatening disease. Cancer was my passport to life. Allow me to explain.
When I first heard the news I had cancer in July 2013, I was in the early stages of my diagnosis. Doctors diagnosed me with endometrial cancer – Stage 1.
“No problem, I thought. “I\’ll handle this. In a few short months, cancer will be all gone and I will be able to get on with the rest of my life.”
I had big dreams I wanted to fulfill. Months earlier, I had just returned from a site inspection tour in Ireland and Italy with my adult son and daughter. I wanted to take women on life-changing travel experiences in Europe. I had also been writing a book about the life-changing power of travel. Cancer was an unwelcome interruption in my life.
Later that fall, doctors performed a radical hysterectomy to remove my tumour. Scarcely an hour after surgery, my oncologist stood by my bedside to deliver her prognosis. “We successfully removed the tumour. But your cancer has spread to the lymph and the upper aorta. It’s Stage 3.C/4. It’s incurable.”
“Can you repeat that?” I hardly believed she would dare to speak those words to my face again. She coldly reiterated, “Yes, it’s incurable.”
I was given a diagnosis of death. My whole life was about to be put on hold.
Instead of caving into despair, her words ignited a huge passion within me to live. I refused to believe my doctor’s diagnosis that my life was about to end. I determined to wholeheartedly embrace hope and find my way back to health again. That was the moment I made an important decision. Since travel has played a pivotal role in changing my life, I was going to treat my cancer experience as if I was on a vacation, even if I was only given a self-imposed “time off to get well” for cancer treatments.
Although I was not able to physically travel far, I used the power of my imagination to visualize myself traveling outwardly to a far off destination. I created a daily travel ritual to imagine I was on a wonderful journey. What’s more, I incorporated the sights, the sounds, and the smells of my travels abroad – some of the happiest memories in my life – to breathe life into my dreams of travelling the world one day.
It wasn’t always easy. Within less than 6 months of my diagnosis, I was completely cancer FREE.
Now that I am on the other side of my journey, I’ve encountered countless women in similar situations who are desperately searching for answers. If you or someone close to you has recently been diagnosed with cancer, you need to know that cancer is not a death sentence. Cancer can be your passport to life.
I’d like to share 5 important truths that will inspire you to believe that radiant health is possible for you:
- No one is the final authority on your health, whether or not you live or die. A doctor’s diagnosis is not a decree from God. I’ve met many women on my journey with cancer who were wrongly diagnosed. Some never had cancer at all yet doctors prescribed surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation. Others who were given a diagnosis of death successfully overcame their disease. BELIEVE and EMBRACE the hope that healing is entirely possible for you. You alone are the best authority on your body, not your doctor. Let’s face it, you’ve been living in the same skin since the day you were born. You feel disconnected from your body right now. It seems more like your enemy than a friend but remember that it is possible for you to restore your vital connection with your body. This deeper connection will help you find your way to the healing modalities that are right for you.
- “When you change the way you look at things, things change.” Your body has been trying to tell you it’s time to wake up. It’s time to LIVE. Cancer is your opportunity dive more deeply into yourself than you ever dared before. It is the way for you to fully embrace life with all its challenges and ups and downs. Although it may be hard to see this right now, at the end of your journey you will be grateful for the many amazing gifts cancer gave you.
- Don’t try to work against Divine Timing. While there is never a good time for you to have cancer, NOW is the best time for you to have it. Accept and embrace your circumstances. No amount of wishing for something different is going to change your situation. Accept the fact that your treatment may be a long process. Accept that your dreams will be on hold for now. Accept that your body will go through some changes. Acceptance ends your suffering and allows you to patiently enjoy your journey. When you understand and use Divine Timing to your advantage, you harness a powerful force. The wind blows at your back instead of gusting headlong in your face. Time becomes your ally instead of your enemy.
- Visualize your dreams. This is far more powerful than positive thinking. Do you wish to merely survive cancer? Or do you have a big dream for your future? Do you long to watch your grandchildren grow up into amazing human beings? Do you long to put a brush to canvas in the south of France? Whatever your dreams are, hold onto them and give them life. Nurture your vision and feed them with your desire. When you practice visualizing your dreams, it is the difference between trying to get pregnant and seeing yourself holding a beautiful baby in your arms. The latter fills your heart with expectant joy. Feed your dreams every day. You will fill your heart with expectant joy.
- Surround yourself with positive mentors. Cancer support groups may not be the best support for you. Seek out instead, “Cancer Thrivers” – those who have successfully returned from their cancer journey and are enjoying radiant health. Their journey will inspire you with new hope, making it easier for you to believe that healing is wholly possible for you. Be sure to also surround yourself with those who are living a full and vibrant life. Their exuberance and zest for life will be like a wonderful contagious disease.
To your radiant health,
Original Source to this Article, with many thanks to Annie Pool
Click for an invitation to join our Facebook Group!
Visit TheWellnessUniverse.com for people supporting
Emotional Wellness http://goo.gl/Z3EQcy
Environmental Wellness http://goo.gl/BO6qLP
Intellectual Wellness http://goo.gl/R1v1dc
Occupational Wellness http://goo.gl/QFF2xM
Physical Wellness http://goo.gl/aGfYU6
Social Wellness http://goo.gl/oYZALZ
Spiritual Wellness http://goo.gl/TyXSbQ
Join Us if you contribute to a Better World! http://goo.gl/P
The Wellness Universe is your resource for health, wellness, well-being, and transformation. We serve and support professionals who make the world a better place and individuals and groups who seek their best life.
A woman owned company; having the vision in 2013, Anna Pereira launched the first directory in 2015 bringing together a community of members making the world a better place to be found by those seeking their best life. The Wellness Universe has grown since then to be a one-stop shop for total wellness support! We are a vetted community, online directory, book publisher, resource center, event producer, content platform, and so much more, supporting whole-health and well-being on a global scale.
The Wellness Universe is a home that connects industry professionals in the health, wellness, and well-being fields to seekers of total well-being. WU provides our WU World-Changer members with peer support, Wellness Universe produced events (live and online), projects, visibility, business mentoring, and community. Through The Wellness Universe our WU World-Changer members serve WU Friends, seekers of health, wellness and transformation, with coaching, workshops, content and more.
The Wellness Universe provides individuals and groups seeking their best lives with access to our members, wellness content, educational resources, and guidance in all areas of wellness to transform visions of how they want to live life into the life they experience.
Through the directory, WU Featured Blog, SoulTreat wellness retreat, Self-Care Books, group well-being programs, and online learning center, The Lounge, The Wellness Universe provides many avenues to support whole health, mind, body, spirit and planet.