IOTD for March 26th by Sandy Evans Pullin
Suggestions for Coping with Loss During Holidays and Special Events
For some, this Easter may be the first holiday since the loss of a loved one. Even if it has been several years since your person graduated to the other side, any holiday tends to bring memories of loved ones to the surface more than other times during the year. As always, my standard survival kit for every day is Reiki, meditation and exercise, but the following suggestions are ones that I\’ve found helpful for coping during the holidays and special events like birthdays and anniversaries.
- Have a plan. It doesn\’t have to be anything elaborate, just know what you\’re going to do on the day of the holiday, special event day or anniversary. Even if you think you\’ll be fine, having a plan to follow will make for a less emotional day.
- If you\’ve had a long-standing family tradition, many times it\’s easier to change it up a little and do something different. If you usually have dinner together, try doing brunch…or change your meeting place.
- If your person always sat in a certain place, the empty chair can be the silent elephant in the room. I\’ve found it helpful to ask someone to sit in it instead of waiting to see who will. In my experience, a simple announcement to the group of who will be sitting in “the chair” takes the pressure off of everyone and the person invited to sit in the vacant chair is honored to do so.
- Remember to take good care of yourself always, but especially during these stressful times right before the event. Exercise, talk to a friend, journal, meditate and do Reiki.
- The dread of the day is usually worse than the actual day. Taking a moment to remember your person in a special way can go a long way in helping you feel better. Lighting a candle in their honor or releasing a balloon are nice ways to remember them.
If you are trying to help another person who has suffered a loss, sometimes the best gift you can give them is to listen. As always, follow their lead, but many times being able to talk about their person is a huge comfort. Sharing amusing stories about the departed is a great way to remember them and can be very healing
Visit www.TheWellnessUniverse.com for people supporting
Emotional Wellness http://goo.gl/Z3EQcy
Environmental Wellness http://goo.gl/BO6qLP
Intellectual Wellness http://goo.gl/R1v1dc
Occupational Wellness http://goo.gl/QFF2xM
Physical Wellness http://goo.gl/aGfYU6
Social Wellness http://goo.gl/oYZALZ
Spiritual Wellness http://goo.gl/TyXSbQ
Join Us if you contribute to a Better World! http://goo.gl/PQyzFA
The Wellness Universe is your resource for health, wellness, well-being, and transformation. We serve and support professionals who make the world a better place and individuals and groups who seek their best life.
A woman owned company; having the vision in 2013, Anna Pereira launched the first directory in 2015 bringing together a community of members making the world a better place to be found by those seeking their best life. The Wellness Universe has grown since then to be a one-stop shop for total wellness support! We are a vetted community, online directory, book publisher, resource center, event producer, content platform, and so much more, supporting whole-health and well-being on a global scale.
The Wellness Universe is a home that connects industry professionals in the health, wellness, and well-being fields to seekers of total well-being. WU provides our WU World-Changer members with peer support, Wellness Universe produced events (live and online), projects, visibility, business mentoring, and community. Through The Wellness Universe our WU World-Changer members serve WU Friends, seekers of health, wellness and transformation, with coaching, workshops, content and more.
The Wellness Universe provides individuals and groups seeking their best lives with access to our members, wellness content, educational resources, and guidance in all areas of wellness to transform visions of how they want to live life into the life they experience.
Through the directory, WU Featured Blog, SoulTreat wellness retreat, Self-Care Books, group well-being programs, and online learning center, The Lounge, The Wellness Universe provides many avenues to support whole health, mind, body, spirit and planet.